Simple as that.
I've picked out some of the easiest changes to make on an individual basis:
1. Change your lightbulbs......to Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs (CFLs) - they're more expensive than standard bulbs but they use 75% less energy and last (years) longer. CFL's are swirly light bulbs that fit into standard sockets.
2. Do smart laundry:
- Wash clothes in warm or cold water instead of hot
- Wash a few big loads instead of lots of small ones
- Use the most efficient machine you can find
- Ditch the dryer and hang your clothes on a line to dry naturally
3. Ride the bus....transport accounts for 14% of global greenhouse-gas emissions.
4. Pay your bills online:
- Saves trees
- Reduces fuel consumption
5. Open a window......instead of running the air con.
6. Skip the steak.......the international meat industry generates about 18% of the world's greenhouse-gas emissions. So if you've ever considered vegetarianism, now's the time to give it a try!
7. Just say no to plastic bags.......more than 500 billion plastic bags are distributed annually, and less than 3% are recycled! There are now so many other options, the only trick is remembering to take those options with you on your shopping trips!
I'll post Part 2 tomorrow.................heaps more ideas!